Tuesday, March 3

Indie Games

I'm going to start off saying that I'm not a huge independent gamer, I rarely touch base with many of the indie games on the market.  I do, though, consider myself a gamer, and that being said I have some entitlement giving opinions on Indie games.

As some of you may have heard the 11th Annual Indie Games Festival has begun.  If you go to their website (www.igf.com) you'll see the lineup and the choices.  Heading to where you can vote you'll see the choices you have to choose from and links to download most of them.

The only game I had seen before this list was Brainpipe, which my friend had recommended to me and I had played the demo for a few days.  Since all the other games were completely unfamiliar to me I decided I would go through and give each one a chance.  I proceeded to download all the ones I needed to and play all the ones online that were available.  This escapade took me a good 2 hours, and this is really playing the bare minimum of each game that I could to get a feel for it.

My absolute favorite choice out of the list was You Have To Burn The Rope.  This game not only had one of the catchiest credit songs I have heard in a long time, it was bloody original.  I completely loved this game for the full 2 minutes it took to beat it.

After hearing that you may thing: "Wait, it only took him 2 minutes to fully beat the game?"  Now listen, before you hate on its length, just realize the humor in it.  It's absolutely hilarious, there is a game that you walk down a tunnel learning how to play, and than climb up some stairs, hop a jump and burn a rope to kill the final boss.  The song even states "We didn't want to make a longer game."

Despite the length of the game it ceases to amuse me each time I beat it (10 and counting).  It's so simple, you climb up the staircase and burn the rope to kill the Grinning Colossus, yet it's so fun!

Anyway, moral of the story: Go vote in the Indie Games Festival but don't hate any game til you try it.  I recommend taking the time, like I did, and playing through each game.  You'll probably have a different opinion than me but don't let that stop you!

P.S: My Runner up was Dyson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home