Thursday, March 26

What is Mainstream?

This isn't a rant and this isn't an explanation. I'm not really sure what this is but it's something I want to say.

A lot of people think that being mainstream is a bad thing, it isn't. It's not a bad thing, a lot of people view it as being a follower, which is pretty correct, so you may see followers as bad but that doesn't always mean that being mainstream is bad.

When somebody is mainstream it means they don't really stray from the crowd, they most likely hear all their favorite music on the radio or from friends. They most likely dress in a T-Shirt and jeans, and they probably play Basketball or Football or possibly Soccer. That would be your stereotypical High School mainstream kid. You don't have to be full out mainstream, just like you don't have to be completely alternative.
I am quite alternative. To quote a post from GL:
I wear tight pants (never jeans though) and my shirt ALWAYS has a collar. The rare time it doesn't I'm either wearing a sweater or in my casual dress. I don't listen to any hip hop or rap. I don't even know the popular artists except some Rock ones. I don't go out to Starbucks and get Frappuchinos (don't care about spelling), I don't get high, I sit inside and play games and surf around on forums all day. I love Ghostbusters, I play DnD, I watch Star Wars several times a year (all 6), I carry my flash drive around for portable games, not school work, and, best of all, I HATE THE 360!!!
And Apple, I dislike apple too. But anyway, as you can see I'm alternative and proud of it. I don't like following the crowd, I like standing out and making my own opinions. But not everyone is like that, some people don't care about being different from everyone else, they just follow their friends and roll a long with it.

To me being mainstream isn't bad but it isn't really good. I don't hate people that follow the crowd, but I don't automatically love people that carve their own path. Next time you see someone who only listens to Top 40 rather than something like Bomb the Music Industry! don't immediately hate on them, they could be just like you in other ways.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home